Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Neurohelmet?
ComStar MercNet > Administration > Messaging Center
MechWarrior Alex Thorn
Okay so I was watching something today about a new Navy fighter. The new F-18 SuperHornet. Big deal right? I dont know. Thing is I think we are on our way to a neurohelmet here. The helmet used by the pilots actually responds to the head movements of the pilot. When the pilot turns his head sensors in the helmet actually relay information from the movement to a display in the visor. Not only this with the nod of the pilots head he can fire a weapon in the direction he is looking in. Thus allowing to attack while leaving the battlefield. I think this is pretty sweet and is even a step in the direction of an actual neurohelmet. I thought it was pretty cool so I thought I would share.
Captain Garrett Garland
I play a bit in the way of flight sims, and though I try not to let people see me doing this... I have a little thing that looks like a webcam on top of my monitor called a trackir. There's a little clip you attach to your headphones and it tracks three points of infared light to replicate your head movements in game. It is... for lack of a better word, incredible. It even works in an FPS, ArmA, but it's mostly for flight sims.
Commodore Benjamin Maxwell
QUOTE(Sergeant Alex Thorn @ May 16 2007, 03:05 PM) *

Okay so I was watching something today about a new Navy fighter. The new F-18 SuperHornet. Big deal right? I dont know. Thing is I think we are on our way to a neurohelmet here. The helmet used by the pilots actually responds to the head movements of the pilot. When the pilot turns his head sensors in the helmet actually relay information from the movement to a display in the visor. Not only this with the nod of the pilots head he can fire a weapon in the direction he is looking in. Thus allowing to attack while leaving the battlefield. I think this is pretty sweet and is even a step in the direction of an actual neurohelmet. I thought it was pretty cool so I thought I would share.

If I remember correctly, Apache attack helicopters are also equipped with similar technology, although I imagine the technology which you are describing has evolved quite a bit over that which is equipped aboard the choppers.

Thanks for sharing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.