> Operation IX: Cataclysm, The Deneb Kaitos Incident
MechWarrior Alex Thorn
post Jul 14 2006, 11:18 PM
Post #31

LEGIONNAIRES

Group: LEGIONNAIRES
Member No.: 10

"However - in this case...we have a witness"

My eyebrows shot up. I even sat up a little straighter. This struck me as intersting. How could you be possibly be considered a witness. If the planet was blown up, the entire planet could be considered a witness. I was already uncomfortable from the situation. Now I was even more uncomfortable. The fact that the moon was 'destroyed' unsettled me.

I looked over at Ben. He seemed to keep his cool. I looked around at the others to get their reactions. Some seemed cool, others seemed unsettled by this like me.

--------------------
Position : Mechwarrior
Callsign :
Current BattleMech : Marauder IIC (Wolf's Teeth) [Assault]
Loadout: 3x ER PPC, 2x Medium Pulse Laser, 4x ER Small Laser
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bounty Hunter: Sam Grisham
post Jul 15 2006, 06:18 PM
Post #32

Bounty Hunter

Member No.: 34

“One witness? Just one?” I asked amidst raised eye brows and unnerved, sweaty brows. Surely the entire planet should be considered a witness?

“Yes. Roughly twenty minutes after our initial investigation began, our team detected a single pilot space craft travelling around the area of the calmed destruction.” the Lieutenant replied, pressing a button on her remote control. The action brought up a highlighted holograph that represented the small craft.

“And what did this witness tell you?” Ben asked.

“He is currently still being interrogated. We don’t know his role in all of this, but we do know that he saw the destruction of our moon.”

“What do you know about him? What’s his name? Does he have any sort of background?”

“Again, he is still in interrogation, so we have little information in that respect. What we do know is that the witness is a traveller who is constantly on the move. Officially, from what we can tell, he doesn’t exist. Even Comstar couldn’t help us with an immediate answer as to who he is. Another thing that struck a cord was he… arsenal of weapons. When we captured him peacefully, we immediately confiscated a large amount of blades. The small craft was outfitted with personal small arms, explosives and other deadly weapons…”

“And you captured him peacefully?” Charles Maxwell responded as photographic images of the confiscated weapons were displayed. Small bombs, decoy weapons, blades, small firearms and much more flickered into everyone‘s view. “It appears to me he was ready to start a war with that arsenal!”

“I can assure you General Maxwell that he gave his weapons up peacefully and that he is in a secure position. I can assure you that he is of no harm to us-” The Lieutenant was suddenly cut off. The double doors behind her swung open, illuminating the dimly lit holographic room with bright light.

“LIEUTENANT! The witness… he… he’s escaped!” cried foot soldier in combat uniform.

“Escaped?! That’s impossible! I was told he was placed in maximum security!”

“That’s the thing ma’am, he was. Somehow he broke out, knocking several of the guards unconscious-”

“My god… were there any fatalities?”

“No, all those that were attacked were found knocked out cold with no serious injuries.”

“Sweet Jesus…” The Lieutenant cursed. The lights in the briefing room illuminated the room as the holographic projection was shut down. I looked around at the team, catching unnerved expressions from the majority. We had all come here without any form of weapons to protect ourselves. Well… the others might not have, but I had secretly hid a small .22 pistol in my sock. Somehow, in the rush of getting through security, it had been missed.

“I’m sorry gentlemen, but our briefing will have to be cut short. This changes everything…”

“Lieutenant Ravenswood, the Legionnaires are willing to help capture the witness to aid our mission.” Major Maxwell responded, standing to attention.

“Understood…” she replied as she tried to grasp an understanding of the situation. She turned to the private at the doorway behind her, only to find he wasn’t standing there anymore.

“Private?” she questioned, taking a couple short steps towards the doorway. “Private Cedric?”

Suddenly the Private came flying through the doorway. He smashed against the nearby wall, knocking himself out instantly. The entire room fell silent.

“Jackson, Henderson!” Ravenswood shouted, granting affirmative nods from the two guards. The two guards pulled back the actions on their pistols and crept towards the door. As they did this, I instinctively reached for my .22 pistol… to find it wasn’t there. Somehow it had gone mission. Perhaps security wasn’t as stupid as I had thought…

The two guards moved slowly towards the door, both of their weapons pointing towards it. As if by cue, the lighting began to flicker on and off which created a strobe like effect. I heard Ravenswood curse at the poor workmanship. Just under her breath, I heard traces of fearful mutters. Henderson nodded to his partner as they both walked through the doorway and disappeared around the corner. Silence filled the passing of the moments. Then a shot was fired. Then another two shots followed. A loud grunt and a thud was then heard. The strobe lighting revealed Jackson’s unconscious body sliding across the ground and into our view.

“Shit! JACKSON!” Henderson screamed, firing another round. The round could be heard ricocheting off the wall and falling lifelessly to the floor. Then the sound of an unsheathing blade could be heard, followed by a loud grunt. The clatter of metal against metal ensued. Henderson back peddled into our view again. He stood over Jackson’s body with his pistol drawn. The lights flickered violently, this time for it’s longest moment of two seconds. When the lights came back to life, a tall figure stood behind Henderson.

“Sorry…” the figure muttered as he raised an open palm. The karate chop smashed into Henderson’s neck, knocking him out immediately. Henderson crumbled to the floor like a knocked over sandcastle. I anxiously tried to get a glimpse of his face, but his oriental style straw hat cast a shadow over his face. He wore an oriental robe with a thick, fabric black belt. The belt held three Japanese katana securely as well as two pouches. The entire room fell silent. The man then turned to look at us all. At first, it appeared as if he was ready to rush and get passed us, but instead he stood silently.

“My god… I cant believe it…” He spoke out. “It’s been a long time…”

Secretly, Ravenswood pressed a large red button on the wall that released a silent alarm. As she did this, the figure removed his straw hat.

“You?!” Major Maxwell responded first. His jaw nearly hit his chest.

“B-But… your supposed to be dead!” he stuttered as a round of gasps filled the room. The gasps came from ever Legionnaire member, except myself. I stood confused, unsure whether to engage the man or stand fast.

“I saw you fall…” Was all Saburo could manage to say.

Suddenly the double doors behind us burst open. Red laser targeting dots covered the figure in front of us.

“FREEZE!” came a scream from the opposite doorway. Several heavily armoured men with heavy weaponry filled the doorway and aimed squarely in the general direction of the unmasked man.

“WAIT STOP!” Saburo shouted, standing between gunmen and the figure. Like many of the other Legionnaires, I had moved straight against the closest wall behind me. I looked left, then right. In one doorway stood the heavily armed, trigger happy guards. In the other, stood a dangerous escapee, armed to the teeth with bladed weapons. And in the middle stood the psychopath known as Saburo.

“WHOA! STOP!” Major Maxwell had now joined in, standing along side Saburo.

“Don’t shoot!”

“Whoa whoa… wait a second… who the hell is this guy?!” I shouted.

“He is our witness!” Ravenswood shouted, pointing at the dangerous fighting machine.

“Oh no, he is more than that.” The Major responded.

“He is…”
+Quote Post
Saburo Kintaru
post Jul 15 2006, 06:37 PM
Post #33

Crayven Securities, Inc. | MechWarrior

Group: Crayven Securities, Inc.
Member No.: 6

“He is…”

“His name is Kei-teh Kintaru… my brother…” I said in utter disbelief. At first I thought it was another delusional experience. With Maxwell standing beside me, I instantly felt reassured that this was the real deal. I stared back at my brother as if I had seen a ghost. He stared back at the group with the same amazement, only his was nothing compared to ours.

“Wait, you have a brother Saburo? I though all your family had died…”

“So did I…” I responded to Sam.

“For a while I thought I had too, Saburo.” Kei-teh said, taking a step forward. The movement was replied with a clatter of gun actions from the guards behind us.

“No stop! Lower your weapons!” Maxwell shouted as I started to take steps towards my brother. Kei-teh took one of the three blades from his belt. He held out the holstered weapon.

“I believe this belongs to you…” he said as he grasped my Byakko sword. The Byakko (White Tigar) sword was the weapon I had given my brother moments before the final battle with Ren. I remained speechless as I stood only a few feet away from him. I stopped and looked at the sword he held out. I grasped it gentle and inspected it. Although scratches and other marks were littered over the sheath, the blade itself kept its razor sharp edge.

“It has served me well through my journeys… but now I‘d like to return it.” he said with a smile. I looked back at him with tear filled eyes.

“I have dreamt of your death hundreds of times… I’ve replied the event over and over in my head. I’ve blamed myself. I’ve hated myself. But here you are… standing in front of me…” I choked, staring at my old weapon. I retracted the blade back into it’s sheath and looked up at my brother.

“Yes… here I am…” He said. After a moment pause we embraced each other. Tears rolled down my eyes as my mind flickered back to the moment Kei-teh fell into that pit of nothingness. How did he survive?

--------------------
Callsign: Alpha Two
+Quote Post
Commodore Benjamin Maxwell
post Jul 17 2006, 09:08 PM
Post #34

LEGIONNAIRES Founder

Group Icon

Member No.: 1

The sound of countless safeties clicking off filled the room as a swarm of capitol police burst into the narrow chamber, surrounding the Lieutenant Governor in a protective formation, their laser scopes creating a wild light show as over a dozen high-caliber weapons trained their sights on Kei-teh and Saburo. Screams of compliance filled the room as I quickly moved toward the pair, raising a hand to the officers in the doorway.

"Hold on - give me a moment."

"You've got thirty seconds, Major! After that, we are authorized to use all necessary force to ensure Kintaru's compliance!"

The yelling subsided as I nodded an acknowledgement to the officers. I stepped up to the Kintaru brethren, and eyed the older sibling in mild shock.

"You're...supposed to be dead."

--------------------
Position: Senior Captain | Legionnaires
Current BattleMech: WHF-3B White Flame (Lothos) [Heavy - Quad]
Loadout: 1x Large Pulse Laser, 1x Medium Pulse Laser, 2x ER Medium Lasers, 1x Anti-Missile System, Jump Jets
+Quote Post
Captain Charles Maxwell
post Jul 17 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #35

AEGIS DIVISION | Commander

Member No.: 4

"Half Moon...are you watching this?" I murmered, the transmitter mounted in my reading glasses relaying the scene to Crayven Corporation's orbiting DropShip as it unfolded.

"We are, sir."

"What do you make of it?" I muttered, shifting position in my chair to better mask the conversation.

"We're working on it now. All our sources pegged him as being deceased. Intel never even hinted at the possibility of survival."

"This could be especially problematic."

--------------------
Position : Commander, Aegis Division
Callsign : Eden
Current BattleMech : CPLT-C1 Catapult
+Quote Post
Bounty Hunter: Sam Grisham
post Jul 21 2006, 06:40 AM
Post #36

Bounty Hunter

Member No.: 34

Saburo and the stranger stood silently, embracing each other tightly. The entire event felt like something out of a soap opera. Saburo’s brother had seemingly appeared from beyond the grave – or so I could gather.

“H-How…” Saburo managed to stutter through the sobbing. The two released themselves from their embrace. “I saw you fall… I saw you die!”

“Yes, you did see me fall Saburo… but you didn’t see me die.” Kei-teh began to explain. The entire room fell silent as everyone listened in.

“I don’t remember what happened after I fell. I passed out just after Ren’s suit exploded. Though the blast should have killed me, it didn’t. Instead it propelled me away… or so I’m told.”

“Told?”

“Yes. I awoke in a hospital room on Valasha – “

“The Great Elder?” Major Maxwell interrupted.

“Precisely. She had been over watching our entire operation on the asteroid.”

“So why didn’t she intervene to help us out?” Maxwell again interrupted.

“Valasha was still a planet under repair. After the revolution, the Government pushed time and money into rebuilding the ruins. Military aid was simply out of the question. However she did manage to come to our aid.”

“’our’ aid?” Saburo questioned. Kei-teh paused for a moment, looking away in anger.”

“Yes… I was not the only survivor. When I had awakened, the Great Elder explained that she had managed to save two people. Myself and Dr Faulkner had been rescued…”

The silence became more deafening. Worried expressions befell everyone’s face.

“Dr Faulkner’s injuries were not as complex as mine. He had a few broken bones and a laser blast wound to the stomach. I on the other hand had near fatal injuries. After he had recuperated, he escaped – vanished without a trace. When I gained consciousness, Faulkner’s escape had happened a week ago. Of course I wanted to go after him, but I had to regain my strength. After five months of intense physiotherapy, I was ready to find him and put a stop to him.

I scoured the Inner Sphere, working on very little information. My greatest breakthrough came when I overheard hushed words that there was WoB activity around a small isolated area not far from Deneb Kaitos. To my horror, I discovered Faulkner was building a weapon of mass destruction, a weapon he had crafted from the little schematics of the atmospheric deprivation cannon back on the asteroid. This weapon is called… the Crimson Platform. It is both a warship and a weapon. It fires a concentrated beam into a planet’s core and detonates it, killing it from the inside. What happened to Deneb Kaitos’ moon was a simple test.”

“If you knew all this information, why didn’t you contact our embassy?” Ravenswood shouted in anger. “This catastrophe could have been avoided if you had acted!”

“With all due respect, I had to be sure before I could raise an alarm. I secretly infiltrated the Crimson Platform and gathered as much information as I could. Just as I was about to relay the information, I was discovered. I battled my way out of the platform and stole one of their escape vessels. Unfortunately, because I had stolen one of their ships, I had to maintain communication silence. Had I broadcasted anything, they would have detected me. Had they detected me, then no alarm would have been raised at all, hence the reason I couldn’t contact your embassy. All that remained was for me to drift silently in space, hoping I would avoid Faulkner’s men.

With some twist of luck I had escaped their detection and as soon as I was able to, I decided to make my move for your embassy. However, when I reached Deneb Kaitos, I discovered I was too late. Their test operation was successful. Soon after my discovery, I was captured and interrogated.”

“If you knew so much and wanted to help, why did you try to escape? Why didn’t you cooperate?”

“Quite frankly Lieutenant Governor, I didn’t take too kindly to your Interrogation Officer’s methods of ‘beat first, ask questions later’. My aim was to get the hell out of here!” Kei-teh shouted, silencing Ravenswood. Her expression was filled with shock.

“Did you order this?” Maxwell asked.

“Of course not! He was to be treated as a witness, not a suspect!”

“You could have fooled me.”

Ravenswood stood silent in shock, perhaps even embarrassment.

“I… I apologise for any harm my men caused you…” she eventually said, swallowing her pride. Kei-teh remained silent, but nodded in approval.

“Apologies and finger pointing can wait for now. What is important is how we act.” Kei-teh eventually said.

“And how do we act?”

The briefing room was filled with loud silence as everyone began to ponder the question. How do you act against an incredible, mobile super weapon?

“We’ll use their tactics against them…” the Major eventually said. By this time, peace had been restored to the briefing room and we had all sat down.

“What do you mean?”

“We’ll attack from the inside and detonate it’s core. We have one of their escape vessels, right? If we could obtain the Crimson Platform’s coordinates from the vessel, we could pin point it’s location!”
+Quote Post
Captain Garrett Garland
post Jul 21 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #37

Captain | LEGIONNAIRES

Group Icon

Member No.: 3

“Even if we locate the platform, do we have the firepower to take it out? I know the Legionnaires have limited aerospace assets—or are you implying this will be a Trojan horse operation? If so, how would we convince the platform to take back an escape pod which it knows you used?”

--------------------
Position : Captain | LEGIONNAIRES
Callsign : Fox
Current BattleMech : Shadow Hawk [55 tons] [97.2 km/h max] [120 meter jump range]
Loadout : [1x Rotary AC5] [1x LRM-20] [1x Medium Pulse Laser] [2x Streak SRM-2] [AMS] [CASE] [ECM] [JumpJets]
+Quote Post
post Jul 21 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #38

LEGIONNAIRES Founder

Group Icon

"We’ll attack from the inside and detonate its core. We have one of their escape vessels, right? If we could obtain the Crimson Platform’s coordinates from the vessel, we could pinpoint its location!"

A silence fell over the room as my words sank in. After a few moments, Lieutenant Governor Ravenswood spoke.

"Theoretically, I suppose it's possible. I certainly can't stand in your way - if you think a suicidal run straight at the platform would be the best course of action, the worst that could happen is that your group gets eradicated and we're faced with finding another mercenary unit to have another go at it. Aside from that detail," Ravenswood continued, pressing several keys inset into her console, and bringing the room's lights back up, "I don't see what harm it would do."

Ravenswood's sardonic comment didn't sit especially well with me.

"Respectfully, Governor - you haven't presented us with many alternatives. Unless you're prepared to commit some of your own resources to this operation - "

The Governor scowled at me.

"Major, your contract specifically stated that there would be no support available from the local militia! If you don't feel your unit is up to the task - "

"You need not concern yourself. We are quite capable of accomplishing the mission - with - or without your help."

Before Ravenswood had an opportunity to fire back with a retaliatory statement, my father's voice suddenly, and unexpectedly, rose above the conversation.

"Governor, I'd like to volunteer the C.S.V. Terra Nova and its science assets as a means to download any and all data that might be contained in the pod. I have no doubt we'll be able to get into its systems. If there's any crucial information aboard, we'll find it."

Ravenswood looked impressed.

"Very well, General. Call down your science vessel. Our technicians will make the pod available to you. Do as you see fit - but know that you are required to share any and all of your findings with this government. Am I making myself clear?"

A crocodile grin crept across Charles' face.

"Crystal."

What is he up to?

--------------------
Loadout: 1x Large Pulse Laser, 1x Medium Pulse Laser, 2x ER Medium Lasers, 1x Anti-Missile System, Jump Jets
+Quote Post
Captain Charles Maxwell
post Jul 23 2006, 08:35 PM
Post #39

AEGIS DIVISION | Commander

Member No.: 4

"Even if we locate the platform, do we have the firepower to take it out? I know the Legionnaires have limited aerospace assets—or are you implying this will be a Trojan horse operation? If so, how would we convince the platform to take back an escape pod which it knows you used?"

I quickly interjected.

"Governor, I believe I can answer the Captain's question, if it pleases you."

Ravenswood nodded curtly.

"Proceed."

"Keep in mind that this is very preliminary - and subject to change based on what we discover about the pod's capabilities - or lack thereof.

"I envision the initial insertion to take place on multiple fronts - the Half Moon and the Liberty can carry out a diversionary assault on the platform in a strategically weak area of its defenses. We'll need to examine any and all intelligence concerning the spacecraft to determine where this weakness, if it exists, lies. While the platform is busy covering its own hide, the Terra Nova will get as close as it can to the installation, and deploy the pod - which, I believe, my technicians can pack with enough ECM equipment to get it in under the platform's sensors."

"Fine and well, General - but what then? Once you've gotten the pod there, how do you propose to get it docked without the platform recognizing it?"

I chuckled.

"There's no way to know for sure. Until we've seen some schematics of the platform itself - and gotten a look at the pod, there's only so much conjecture we can do."

I turned toward Governor Ravenswood with an expectant look on my face.

--------------------
Position : Commander, Aegis Division
Callsign : Eden
Current BattleMech : CPLT-C1 Catapult
+Quote Post
Captain Garrett Garland
post Jul 24 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #40

Captain | LEGIONNAIRES

Group Icon

Member No.: 3

As the conversation continued, it sounded more and more like a suicide mission—at least for the insertion team. Even if they managed to gain access to the station’s interior amongst the chaos of the diversionary battle, it was likely that if they were recognized as intruders there would be no escape.

“Perhaps, sirs, we could consider entering the station in vac-suits and rupturing the station’s hull at critical points, causing explosive decompression, essentially eliminating all internal resistance.”

My suggestion was quickly nullified by the General; I wasn’t sure if he thought it was actually a poor plan, or if in fact it conflicted with something unbeknownst to me on his agenda. Perhaps he thought my plan would cause too much collateral damage to the station and that he really intended to capture it. I would be weary if the infiltration team contained any Crayven specialists, I would have to have an eye kept on them.

“Do not discount the fact, Captain, that the enemy will be at a high alert status, and will likely have suited teams ready to repel any invaders. And this is not a mere space station—it was designed for battle purposes and will likely have a hide thicker than ordinary charges can breach.”

…have a hide thicker than ordinary charges can breach.

“Perhaps then, General, we can use the station’s hull to our advantage. If the hull is as thick as a DropShip’s then perhaps it can sustain the pressure induced by a Battlemech. We could launch a few of our ‘mechs, equipped with magnetic grapplers, to mount themselves on the hull and use their weapons against the enemy. The enemy aeroassets would find it difficult to hit our own ‘mechs without hitting their beloved station.”

Hopefully this plan did not conflict with the Major’s, General’s, or Governor’s.

--------------------
Position : Captain | LEGIONNAIRES
Callsign : Fox
Current BattleMech : Shadow Hawk [55 tons] [97.2 km/h max] [120 meter jump range]
Loadout : [1x Rotary AC5] [1x LRM-20] [1x Medium Pulse Laser] [2x Streak SRM-2] [AMS] [CASE] [ECM] [JumpJets]
+Quote Post
MechWarrior Alex Thorn
post Jul 26 2006, 11:29 AM
Post #41

LEGIONNAIRES

Member No.: 10

I nodded in agreement with Garland. I prefered being in a 'Mech than anything else. I was already not liking how this was going. It was sounding more and more like a suicide mission. Not that the Legionnaires hadn't been on one before. This one sounded more as if there wouldn't be a great chance of survival.

I looked around at the others as they tried to discuss what to do. I felt out of place because I had no idea what we could do. I had no suggestions and felt different cause I couldnt contribute to the brainstorming. Content on listening I stood and waited for the others to come up with a plan.

--------------------
Position : Mechwarrior
Callsign :
Current BattleMech : Marauder IIC (Wolf's Teeth) [Assault]
Loadout: 3x ER PPC, 2x Medium Pulse Laser, 4x ER Small Laser
+Quote Post
post Jul 26 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #42

LEGIONNAIRES Founder

Group Icon

“Perhaps then, General, we can use the station’s hull to our advantage. If the hull is as thick as a DropShip’s then perhaps it can sustain the pressure induced by a Battlemech. We could launch a few of our ‘mechs, equipped with magnetic grapplers, to mount themselves on the hull and use their weapons against the enemy. The enemy aeroassets would find it difficult to hit our own ‘mechs without hitting their beloved station,” Garland suggested, making his argument in a polite, yet forceful tone. Clearly, the General's gung-ho approach to the situation was trying his patience.

"Fine and well, Captain, but exactly how do you suggest we hot-drop the BattleMechs onto the station? We don't even know what the damned thing looks like!"

"Which makes your plan, General, equally as implausible! Until we see some specs, no plan can be considered out of the question!" Garland fired back, his frustration at the situation boiling over.

"I don't know who you think you're speaking with, son. If you think - "

"Gentlemen, please," I interjected, rising from my chair. "Let's keep this civilized, shall we?"

Garland and the General exchanged glares, before returning to their seats. Casting a knowing glance at the Captain, I turned my attention back to Governor Ravenswood.

"Governor, with all due respect, as critical as you've been of our tactical theories, I have yet to see one schematic of the station. Surely you have at least a few long-distance recon shots to share with us?"

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lieutenant Governor Erica Ravenswood
post Jul 26 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #43

Lieutenant Governor | Deneb Kaitos

Group: Members
Member No.: 47

[ - Soundtrack: The Crimson Platform - ]

"Major, the attack on our system was - unexpected - to say the least. We didn't exactly anticipate the sudden appearence of a WMD in lunar orbit."

Major Maxwell nodded.

"Go on."

"We were, however, able to get one, low-resolution image of the platform before it obliterated the only satellite in the area that had photographic capabilities."

My fingers played across the control panel before me. Seconds later, an image materialized on the holotable.

IPB Image

"I present to you - the Crimson Platform. Our analysts have been able to glean a bit of information concerning its armament, capabilities, and origins. It appears that the Blakists - or whomever is manning the vessel - constructed the platform around the hull of an old Argo-class battlecruiser - an interesting choice of spaceframe, particularly since the last Argo was decomissioned in the 2200's - making the ship a virtual museum piece. The bow of the platform features an aperture which, we assume, is a weapon, though our analysts can't be absolutely certain, as we have no substantial intelligence with which to back this up - no offense to you, Mister Kintaru - your eyewitness account was of great service to us.

"The deck of the ship appears to feature five rotating main guns and a static battery of smaller weaponry. Underneath the hull of the platform is another emplacement - though we can't quite make out what it is.

"From the photograph, our analysts have compiled a conjecture schematic of the likely layout of the vessel, and its approximate vital statistics," I pressed another series of keys, causing a technical readout to replace the image currently projected. "Please keep in mind that this is all very preliminary and conjecture."

IPB Image

Codename - "Crimson Platform"
Ship Class - Assumed to be Argo

Ship Dimensions
Length - 265.8 metres
Width - 34.6 metres
Height - 77 metres
Weight - 72,000 tons

Ship Crew - Unknown

Ship Armor
Unknown - appears to be heavy ablative
16.1" belt (inclined)
11.8" bulkheads
9.1" deck
25.6" turret face
19.7" conning tower

Shields
Unknown

Weaponry (Conjecture)
12x (24 total @ 2 per turret) Naval Gauss Rifles
12x (24 total @ 2 per turret) Naval PPCs
6x (12 total @ 2 per turret) Naval Ultra Autocannon 20 emplacements

6x LRM 20 batteries
12x MRM-30 launchers
15x Medium Pulse Laser cannons
4 AMS cannons

Propulsion
Unknown Hyperspace & Conventional Drives (assumed to be fusion)

Hanger Bay
Unknown Capacity

I allowed the assembled staff to peruse the readout for several minutes. Major Maxwell and Captain Garland's brows remained furrowed in thought, while the clanners - Thastus and Thorn - looked on impassively. The Kintaru brothers maintained a shell-shocked appearence - whether it was because of the information being presented, or the residual amazement at their unexpected reunion, I couldn't be sure. There was no mistaking General Maxwell's demeanor, however - the Crayven analyst pored over the schematics with a bloodthirsty delight, carefully copying each line into a steno pad for later review.

Eventually, I broke the silence of the briefing room once more.

"Now, if there's nothing further I can do for you..."

This post has been edited by Lieutenant Governor Erica Ravenswood: Jul 26 2006, 06:36 PM

--------------------
Position : Lieutenant Governor, Deneb Kaitos
+Quote Post
MechWarrior Kazuki Kintaro
post Jul 27 2006, 05:31 PM
Post #44

Crewman

Group: Members
Member No.: 49

Garland’s and the General’s heated discussions were soon silenced by the low resolution image. It’s black and white tone hid the crimson red colour of the hull. It also hid the monstrous weapon that hid inside it. I arose from my chair and raised a sheathed katana.

“Here… the entire ship transforms and the weapon is revealed here…” I said, pausing to swallow hard. With the katana I circled around front of the ship. Though the picture was of poor quality, with the visual aid of my pointer, it soon became obvious.

“The front of the ship splits open and shifts to reveal the giant cannon. The cannon then shifts higher and connects to, what I assume, a pool of energy that masses from generators dotted around the ship. My time aboard the Crimson Platform was brief, but I can assure you guards stand littered around every corridor, armed to the teeth. Faulkner has carried on the same crazed teachings of Ren… his men are just as bad, if not worse, than the followers of Blake…” I paused as memories of my struggles fluttered through my mind. I stood silently, staring deeply into the horrific holographic image.

“Why does man continually seek more thorough means of the destruction of it’s own kind?” I said silently.

“Well… now that we have some details, I guess we can construct some form of plan…” Ben’s devious looking father said, licking at his dried lips. His brow was musk with a thin lining of sweat that glazed his appearance. To put it frankly, he looked like a man waiting inside a brothel. In the few brief moments I had come into contact with him, I had decided that Charles was a man best observed closely.

Echoes of long lost memories of the untrustworthy General Murlance crept back into my mind. Was Charles the reincarnation of Murlance? I shuddered to think of that scenario.

“Perhaps its best that we wait for the data team to return with the relevant information before we make any final plans. We need the information from the escape pod first...” Garland quipped, hoping to entice the fury of Charles. Instead Charles pulled a small grin and replied.

“Yes… the more we know, the more can plan with…”

--------------------
Position: Mechwarrior | Legionnaires
Callsign: Sabre
Current BattleMech: STG-6L Stinger
Loadout: 2x Medium Lasers, Jump Jets
+Quote Post
Frank Reade
post Aug 3 2006, 06:17 PM
Post #45

LEGIONNAIRES

Member No.: 48

Two hours later...

C.S.V. Terra Nova
Deneb Kaitos Government Spaceport
Deneb Kaitos

With a loud 'click,' the locking mechanism covering the captured escape pod's data access port sprang open, and I quickly removed the impeding section of hull plating before it had a chance to re-secure itself. Plugging in a portable holoprojector, I logged into the pod's operating system, and retreived a section of carefully censored data which our technicians had scrubbed for presentation earlier.

"Gentlemen...and lady..." I added, nodding at the female Clanner who watched my ministrations impassively, "today is your lucky day."

I fed the pod a series of commands, and the holoprojector sprang to life, displaying an intricate, deck-by-deck representation of the Crimson Platform.

"This vessel is, as the Kaitosian analysts suspected, an Argo-class battlecruiser - several centuries old - I suppose it was the best the ragtag survivors of Ren's extremist grouo could afford on short notice. Overall, the ship is an outdated piece of garbage by today's standards - a combined assault by a pair of DropShips such as the Dreams of Avarice and the Liberty would pose a moderate threat to it. Overall, its armaments are only marginally improved over those of a single DropShip.

"The problem comes with the 'super weapon' that Mister Kintaru has correctly identified as being equipped on the vessel. The 'wave motion cannon,' as the files call it, is actually quite remarkable. It's neither an energy nor a projectile weapon - rather, the device uses a series of sonic oscillators to disrupt the natural vibration of the matter of its targets - essentially causing whatever object it's being fired at to shake itself apart. Not the most efficient of weapon systems, but fairly effective. The problem with the system is that, as the size of the target increases, the more power is required by the weapon in order to accomplish this effect."

"So a target the size of an escape pod might be destroyed in a matter of seconds, whereas a planet-sized target - "

" - could take several minutes to destroy, exactly. And once the cannon's power has been depleted, the capacitors Mister Kintaru mentioned, which are positioned around the vessel, need to recharge, which, from my preliminary analysis, could take several hours to build back up to full."

Major Maxwell eyed the rotating schematic warily.

"What would it take to destroy the vessel?"

"To destroy it? Probably little more than a combined-arms assault by our three DropShips. The risk you run is that one of our vessels would probably be obliterated in the attack. It's been over three days since the moon was destroyed. That cannon is most likely charged to full - and something the size of a DropShip would probably survive about fifteen seconds."

Maxwell shook his head. "Unacceptable. I will not commit to a course of action that guarantees the loss of life. What are our other options?"

"Destruction of the capacitors. There are three capacitors - one at the bow, and two in the middle. The capacitors are set on a self-correcting network - if any one capacitor fails, the other two can compensate for its loss. Take out two, and the cannon is incapacitated. The third capacitor at this point essentially acts as a node to collect and bleed off the excess power being generated by the ship's reactor. So, needless to say, if this last capacitor is destroyed, the Crimson Platform's power systems will be completely overloaded by the sudden dump of raw power the rolls back into the grid due to the node's loss."

"And this will destroy the ship?"

I nodded.

"I'm sorry, son, but I can't abide by that plan either."

All heads in the room turned as the crisp, militaristic voice of General Charles Maxwell sounded off across the bay. The older man stepped to the head of the group, a look of chagrin spreading across his son's face.

"And why not, might I ask?" Benjamin scowled.

Charles lit one of his trademark cigars, and began gesturing toward the hologram with it.

"You're ignoring a perfectly good opportunity to capture a major enemy asset. The technology contained within that ship - "

" - has major destructive potential! We have an opportunity to destroy it in a relatively simplistic fashion," Benjamin interjected, " - with minimal attrition to our own forces. Your proposal requires a much larger commitment of manpower - at a MUCH higher risk level - with absolutely no guarantee whatsoever of success!"

The General took several thoughtful puffs on his cigar.

"So be it. Destruction it is."

Privately, I balked at the General's uncharacteristic willingness to back down. He was up to something. I'd have to find out what it was...later.

"Captain Garland," I continued, "your assumption concerning the aeroassets is correct. The ship has been loaded with sixteen Eisensturm fighters to augment its fairly limited firepower. Getting a pod docked with the Platform with those things on the powl would be a serious challenge. The hull of the Platform should have no problem holding mag-booted BattleMechs - although the interior of the ship isn't large enough to accomodate them past the hangar and the cargo bays, so if there were any plans to use them to take out the capacitors, think again.

"Now - as for how you get aboard the thing - I'll leave that up to you - but as far as the escape pod goes, it isn't a problem getting the platform to accept it again. There's a protocol in the system that allows for ejected pods to be re-connected in the event that a disaster situation leading to pod deployment was later averted, and the pods were recovered. We can initiate that protocol via the pod's onboard computer, and use the Terra Nova's transmitter to crawl into the Platform's computers and execute the recovery command. That should get you aboard."

Maxwell pondered the situation for several moments before replying. "So let me get this straight: our best plan involves us using the Liberty, Terra Nova, and the Dreams of Avarice to carry out a diversionary attack against the Crimson Platform, during which time we drop a lance or two of 'Mechs onto the surface of the thing to wipe out the AeroTech assets, and then insert a commando team into the ship with a stolen escape pod that we hope it will re-accept?"

"Essentially. I can equip the commando team with some toys from our R & D labs that will make the task a bit easier."

Major Maxwell glanced to Captain Garland and Kei-teh Kintaru.

"What do you think, gentlemen?"

This post has been edited by Major Benjamin Maxwell: Aug 4 2006, 10:25 AM

--------------------
Position : Lieutenant | LEGIONNAIRES
Callsign : Fox-2
Current BattleMech : Hollander
Loadout :
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:58 AM

subBlack shadows and light edition © 2005 - DreamCaster
Original subBlack phpbb2 style by spectre