Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ardoz Clan Simulation, Trial of Grievance
Captain Desparado
post Nov 17 2006, 06:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

Wind blew with frightening force. My Gyros and actuators compendsated for the extreme conditions in the blizzard whirling around me. My tall atlas was catching a lot of atmospheric turbulence and shifted slightly against the icy cold invisible hand shoving it. I was shivering in the cockpit, battlemechs rarely had heating systems, after all they weren't meant for creature comfort. My systems were all go save for my sensors. They were having a difficult time compensating for the flickering ice that danced around my mech, scattereing my radar readings. This was a great concern to me, I was either looking at five clean signatures or several dozen. All contacts were intermittent but they were surrounding me. I couldn't see much past my own foggy breath outside of the cockpit. I stood in the center of a fairly large steep crater, hoping that the storm's winds would not assault with such force here, I needed a definate reading on what I was up against here. I stood in the center of the large stone depression, shadows and silouettes dancing at the top of the ridge. Suddenly my radar had a much more accurate reading for me. It was a Clan Ghost Bear Dire Wolf standing atop the ridge. Now even my heart and lungs seemed to freeze in the cold.

I claim this Trial of Greivance against the freebirth tresspasser upon the Clan Ghost Bear World of Ardoz.

Who stands in opposition of this claim?

I Captain Desparado of the Mercenary unit Legionnaires bid this Atlas in defiance of your claim.

Several more voices chimed in. We were not alone.

I Raistlin Bekker bid this Dire Wolf in defiance of your claim.

I Mechwarrior Gabriel bid this Summoner in defiance of your claim.

I Samuel Gurdel bid this Shadow Cat in defiance of your claim.

I Jacob Jorgensson bid this Blood Asp in defiance of your claim.

And I Star Captain Snuka bid this Timber Wolf in defiance of your claim.

The One more voice spoke, the accent was unmistakably that of a clanner.

This is SaKahn Tseng I will oversee this trial, may the wisdom of Kerensky be made evident in battle. This trial has begun.

This post has been edited by Captain Desparado: Nov 18 2006, 08:45 PM

--------------------
Position : Captain | LEGIONNAIRES
Callsign : Libra - 1
Current BattleMech : Sunder Leviathan
Loadout : 4 ER Large Lasers, 1 Clan LBX AC20, 3 ER Medium Lasers, 1 Clan LRM20, LAMS
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Captain Desparado
post Nov 18 2006, 09:46 PM
Post #2

Mechwarrior Gabriel, begin.

The Ghost Bear SaKahn permitted the Summoner to begin. As it entered the crater, I acheived a definate lock, its radar signature was directly behind me. The eager pilot had obviously not acheived a bloodname yet and was eager to disply his prowess in battle before the SaKahn. I took a few hits as I turned but that didn't bother me, I pointed my arm out to extend my feild of fire and struck the Summoner's right torso just below the cockpit with twin large lasers. The emerald beams' light illuminated the ice in the air around it with a foggy aura. The clanner strived to stay behind me and out manuvering his faster mech was difficult.

Freebirth scum! Your footprints soil the ground of our world. Soon I shall scatter your body in the wind!

I threw the throttle into full reverse and got the jump on him no sooner than he had finished his brave declaration. The combined might of quad ER large lasers, several flights of LRMs and a fist full of autocannon slugs knocked the heavy mech off of its feet. He quickly brought himself to a stand once more but had suffered much more fire as he did. Angry LRMs relatiated, struggling against the feirce winds. My AMS attempted to screen the incomming volley but the ice interfered with acheiving a successful lock. I absorbed the hit and resumed mercilessly pounding the show boating clanner. My HUD displayed my target's estimated health in the center torso compartment as almost depleted. He fired back valiantly but when I launched another LRM salvo that streaked towards the bruised area, the pilot ejected. The raging winds quelled the fire from the battered chassis and soon the wreckage was veiled from sight by the blizzard.

Send me something other than your second line troops! I hope the rest of you are not Solahma troops, challenge me a bit!

The saKahn laughed heartily before announcing the next combatant.

Great is your pride. Very well, Raistlin Bekker, begin.

I you will wish for death yet shall not find it after I am finished with you trashborn! You should pray you do not become my bondsman, quiaff?

Neg, Raistlin Bekker. It is you who should fear me taking you as my isorla.

An indignant snort was audible over the comm. The atmosphere was beginning to warm up a bit in my cockpit, the heat from my quad lasers was shifting the temperature through convection. The warmth would not last however unless the lasers continued firing and that would not be an issue. Autocannon slugs rattled against my armor once again, this time I was facing the scource. The camoflauge pattern the Dire Wolf wore made spotting it diffucult but I had a strong signal from it now as it approached me, I was basically firing blindly as my instruments directed me until the storm's furious winds ebbed to a gentle breeze. Snow fell heavy and thick, yet so slowly it seemed suspended in the air around me. With refreshed visability I saw much more clearly my foe. I directed all of my fire on the ankle joint of the right leg. The assault mech circled me and tried to manuver around, sheilding my target. but damage was done. I had issued another four emerald beams and caught the ankle as it passed behind the other leg. The Dire Wolf's weight shifted and sagged on that leg, the foot curled up as the myomer fiber's contracted and The pilot hubbled on not much more mobile than a turret. I paid a price for not attempting to cripple any of the weapons my opponet weilded and my HUD showed it well. It didn't matter, the fastest way to destroy a Dire Wolf was to attack the internal structure, I continued my abuse of his shattered leg. It was held in one place and nearly stationary but the pilot tried valiantly to give an equal exchange. My one of my legs shown red on my HUD, the other yellow. I frowned in concern but was not too worried. That meant I still had a decent amount of armor left. I reversed my circle, sheilding the more battered of my legs with the other. My medium lasers cycled ready and it was the four of them accompanied my a burst of Ultra AC 5's that broke the framework of the assault mech.

I was out gunned but had prevailed against him. His mech fell apart from the inside, reactor mountings tore the sheilding apart as they gave way, engulfing the mech in a blinding explosion that melted the ice on the ground for several dozen meters around it. I marked no ejection pod, perhaps Clan warrior Raistlin Bekker took the threat of becoming a freeborn's bondsman prompted his hesitation in reaching for the ejection lever. As my mech dissapated heat, snow in the air transformed into rain and fell to the earth, only to freeze again before being dashed upon the rocky grey ground. Several meters from me, it snowed but water ran down my mech from head to foot, freezing in thin trails resembleing veins. The storm's intensity returned with even greater power, swallowing the twisted unsalvagable mass of Ferrosteel alloys and shattered pride. It moved like a massive hazy wall over the crater, sheilding the remaining opposition that stood atop the crest of the surrounding ridge from veiw. They were now dark silouhettes against a blank white foreground.

Star Captain Snuka, begin.

--------------------
Loadout : 4 ER Large Lasers, 1 Clan LBX AC20, 3 ER Medium Lasers, 1 Clan LRM20, LAMS
+Quote Post
Captain Desparado
post Nov 20 2006, 07:45 PM
Post #3

I charged at full speed towards the radar signature of the Clan Timber Wolf. The blip grew closer and closer but no action yet. Now a warning of missile lock, not a pair of PPCs or Large Lasers through the frozen air, nothing. Something was wrong, I began beckpedalling, spraying autocannon slugs blindly into the air before me. The dim setting sun was fading in the sky and the storm that eclipsed me was graying from its pure white color. My IFF finally located the Timber Wolf only 450m in front of me, yet almost wholly sheilded from veiw. I continued my march in reverse and the patient predator continued his rapid advancement silently. It wasn't until we were only 300m away from one another that his first strike came. Clan Streak SRM 6s feircely rocked my mech but that was not my main concern. It was the Twin LBX-AC10s mounted in his Omni racks. I was in big trouble. The heat rose signicantly in my cockpit and I began to break a cold sweat as my lasers whailed on the large center torso of the heavy mech. I throttled forwards and full speed and the Timber Wolf collided with me. Our mechs rattled violently but I had greater mass than he, an appropriately timed LRM salvo with autocannon accompanyment at the right moment sent the Timber Wolf toppling over.

Dishonorable Stravag! I'll see you dead! Your tactics bring you shame!

He was obviously trying to get the other mechs involved in our melee. Many clanners considered closeranged physical mech combat as a major breach of a warrior's honor code. The saKahn arbitrated the situation, giving a definate ruling as the Timber Wolf stood once more.

There is no penalty. This trial shall continue.

the pause allowed time for both of our weapons to recycle and as the saKahn finished deliberating, we exchanged ordinance again. We had simultaneously fired upon eachother's cockpits, I had scored a direct hit but didn't witness the result. Twin bursts of LBX AC pellets tore savagely at the Ferroglass canopy sheilding me from the elements. The deathly cold tempest winds surged into my cockpit, shards of razor sharp ice whipped around me inflicting dozens of little cuts. I reached atop my neuro helmet and tugged the visor down over my eyes to protect them from any further harm. The storm relented slightly enough for my to survey the aftermath of our alphastrikes. My mech was still damaged, moderately damaged, but still standing. The Timber Wolf became hollowed out, most of the protruding center torso had been blown off, leaving instead a great orafice that smoke poured out of, mixing with the ever blackening snow and winds. I turned to the top of the ridge rimming the crater and expected to engage my next opponet. I shivvered but maintained a steady tight hand over my controls. The sweat on my chest and back had turned to frost in the frigid air. Three mechs remained, their sillouettes were shoulder to shoulder.

Samuel Gurdel, begin

The smallest of the obscured figures, a Shadow Cat took to the air, soaring high with its jumpjets. As its feet lost contact with the edge of the bowl I stood in, the blizzard struck harder than it had since the Trial had begun and the mech dissolved into the greying nothing of the sky.

My comrades were too arrogant, I recognize the potential of an Inner Sphere assault mech and my skills are superior to your firepower.

I squinded hard against the ice nicking me and folded my lips inside my mouth to keep them from being cut. I offered nothing over the comm, the cold air was far too painful to waste on a pithy taunt. I couldn't see anything but I waited, aiming towards the heavens to catch a glimpse of when the Shadow Cat decided to strike.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Captain Desparado
post Nov 24 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #4

I could see the remnants of the Timberwolf, the fires and smoke had faded, most likely already frozen over and snuffed out. Above it my cross hairs hovered, searching for a mark. Quick as a bird of prey, the Shadow Cat swooped down from the sky, landing hard on the missile racks of the derelect heavy mech. My lasers missed their intended target due to the speed of my opponet's descent. Before I could acheive a missile lock, he lifted again, his makeshift stepping stool folded useless to the ground. Realizing that my chassis could not withstand the added weight of another 45 tons and that I was not quick enough to escape him, I took a crouching position. He pounced right over me and I stood quickly, attempting to face him before he touched down. Ice lashed my face with all of the wrath I imagined that the clanner had at that moment. He faded off into the ever darkening whirl of ice. Sensors gave me a scattered reading beyond 600m, he was totally invisable for all I knew. I chased after him, hoping to catch a better fix on his location and one came several moments after. My sensors read his position as 350m above me. I rushed forwards, hoping to fall within the range he could not strike me in. Careful manuvering of the jumpjets could extend his range a bit but nothing could shorten it and I had aimed to be in his blind spot, up close and personal. He landed hard and I was ready to face him, my autocannons dotted his back as he fled into the snowy twilight and soon after I had a missile lock and a school of LRMs chased after.

The answer was a courageous charge from my left, rushing with guns blazing and teeth bared. We traded blows, he took the worst but he made his way behind me, right where he wanted to be. There were no power weapons that really caused a significant amount of damage to me except for the er large laser but the persistance made up for it. He chewed at my rear torso and I was helpless to stop him. The HUD shown red promenantly, blinking white to indicate that I was still taking damage. No matter how I strained against the cold in my cockpit, I couldn't reach the pest, gnawing away at me. Soon he would be drawing blood. I made a desperate move and threw my Atlas into full reverse, slamming my surprised harasser into the icy ground. I turned quickly and unleashed all I had. My computer warned of an imminent shutdown and I let my heat bar drop. The place where he had fallen was the place that that shadow cat stayed until it tore itself into hundreds of little peices when the fusion core was breach by a pair of autocannon slugs.

He fought harder than any clanner before him in the trial so far and had succeeded in mentally grinding me down, my nerves were strained and my body fatigued from exposure to the elements that countered my jumpsuit. There was one more enemy left and I had my doubts about my ability to take on a garrisoned clan assault mech with as much damage as I had sustained. My hud was awash in warm colors. The center torso yellow, one arm red, one yellow. Both legs red, rear torso red. It wasn't a pretty picture. My left and right torsos, as well as my gun racks were still green but they housed weapons that I could not keep feeding for much longer. My main punch was still at full strength, I was thankful for all four of my er large lasers still in working order but I had only four medium lasers to fall back on once my ammos ran out. I did have one advantage though, the psychological edge.

They've all fought like any other freeborn that I've slain. I'm willing to wager my next victim will fight no better.

UNACCEPTABLE SLANDER! I'LL SEE TO IT YOU SURVIVE THIS TO MAKE ME A BONDSMAN!

The saKahn laughed at his warrior's intense pride and rage and bid him to begin.

Jacob Jorgensson, begin.

Come get me canister-baby. I'll show you how we grow'em in the rest of the galaxy. Maybe you'll be surprise on how people turn out when they aren't birthed from a trash can!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Captain Desparado
post Nov 30 2006, 04:44 AM
Post #5

The final warrior advanced, stomping right up to me with all weapons bristling. The frothing speech that fouled the comm was almost equally hot. I was beginning to loose feeling in my fingers and toes, they were numb with cold. My skin shaped into a rough texture as a new wave of goosebumps washed over me. The Clanner came at me hard, twin erPPCs and a Pair of Gauss Rifles cut through the trubulent air like a scapel. Half of the volley sailed wide but the rest of it and the accompanying LRM salvo hit me hard. I was firing every weapon I had as rapidly as it would recycle. The heat rose in my cockpit, providing a small vacation from the frost that was warring with my flesh. As the distance closed between us, we passed one another and entered a circle of death. Dancing with the gusts and trading firepower. I read my ammo indicators, showing one LRM salvo left. At this stage in the game, I needed it to count. I couldn't just fire it off though, we were too close and the missiles would smash into the ground or get tossed about in the storm. He was getting a slight lead on me aswell, falling farther and farther into a blind spot as we circled. The torso twist radius for a Blood Asp was 360 degrees so no matter what I was still taking hard hits, there would be no out-manuvering this one. I slammed into full reverse and turned to face him dead on, letting my final flight of LRMs connect with one of his shoulder cannons. I followed the attack with my Large lasers which had cycled. The result of the hit was quite evident, the destabilizing magnetic feild of the gauss rifle twisted the cannon's barrel off into the storm with impressive force. His remaining weapons took my right arm and with it, two large lasers and a medium laser.

My autocannons hacked relentlessly at the center torso, trying to breach the cockpit on the assault mech's nose. I was taking too much fire like this, I couldn't keep back pedaling. Forward once more at full speed, I moved to flank. Hopefuly at close range I would give his slow torso twisting speed a challenge but it was all I could hope for that I keep him off target. I circled him clockwise, turned right hoping to give my autocannons the best vantage point to score valuable hits from. Twin PPCs slagged my right torso, now thankfully empty of ammo and sent a power surge through the surrounding metal. I didn't stop cycling to my ACs until they had thrown their last slug towards my challanger. Having no more weapon on my right side, I reversed and turned, trying to make the circle go the other direction. The clanner would not have it, he ran beside me, hammering me with his remaining Gauss rifle and lasers. We ran to the edge of the crater where the curve went up steeply. I retreated in reverse, as he charged up the walls of the stone basin to gain the high ground. As my lasers cycled, I clicked on Light amplification. The system's Sun had lost the battle with the titanic blizzard that raged, blocking out its setting light at last.

My visability had improved slightly, A PPC burst from one of the Blood Asp's arms and struck me dead center in the chest, blinding the LA for a moment. I retaliated with everything I had left, we were both near the breaking point. The second Gauss rifle tore itsself away from its mounts and spun wildly into the cold grey rocks surrounding, taking a sizable plate of armor with it. erLarge lasers, swapped places with the incoming cluster of LRMs, I hit his launchers, and he struck my remaining arm. I was now far enough away to take advantage of my ECM technology. I swapped to passive sensors and fled into the maw of the storm leaving no option but to chase. I was in pretty lousy shape but I still had some fight left in me, I was about to show this clanner how much fight.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Captain Desparado
post Dec 3 2006, 03:24 AM
Post #6

With my ECM Gaurdian suite, I could see him through my scopes, but he could not see me at this range. He fired blindly into the storm diminutively, missing wide but the display of his agression was clear.

The best warriors of the Inner Sphere always turn tail and run! Our clan's noble breeding programs are for genetic purity! I have yet to see a clan warrior flee with his tail between his legs, we must be doing something right, quiaff?

I had found a hiding place and shut down in a crouch, I hoped that the storm would cover me long enough to gain the element of surprise.

Neg, blood lines a warrior does not make. Its passion, skill and quick descision making that make a great warrior. No one was born a warmachine.

You know nothing freebirth! Nothing! I will silence your ignorance now! I am weary of your banter.

He left his high ground and marched forward, trying to make sense of the storm that swirled in our little bowl. The air was frigid, it lashed out angerly and unforgiving, my lips were growing numb. My fingers were stiffening into sluggish claws that would not uncurl without great effort. My breath was a thick cloud, the chilly air froze the layer of saliva coating my teeth each time I drew a ragged breath from the seemingly solid air. Over the howl of the wind, I could hear actuators straining and low rhythmic pounding. The Blood Asp was near by, suddenly the assault mech was directly infront of me. I brought a tremoring hand to the controls and began powering up.

You can not hide forever, this trial will only end in your surrender or your defeat.

The thick waves of snow lulled long enough for me to see that he was facing the other way! He didn't see me! I was looking right at the gap where his gauss rifles had tore a hole in his rear torso. My reactor was online now and I rose to full height. I cycled through all of my remaining weapons, firing them all at once into the cavernous opening.

DAMN YOU FREEBIR-Static

My final opponet had fallen to the tactics his clan was best known for. Patient entrapment. I was barely far enough away not to take any further damage from the fusion explosion but I could feel the blast of heat coming through the hole in my canopy. The air cooled quickly and I was subject to the cruel tyranny of the storm again. The wind subsided a bit and I was able to see a Ghost Bear Dire Wolf atop the crater's rim through my Light Amplification.

This Trial Of Grievance is concluded. The Ghost Bear has spoken.

Even with my enhanced night vision scopes, the Dire Wolf seemed to dissolve into the young night like so many snowflakes. I was alone.

---------------------------------------------------

The simulation ended and I was left sitting in a SimPod covered in a cold sweat.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:04 AM

subBlack shadows and light edition © 2005 - DreamCaster
Original subBlack phpbb2 style by spectre