Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New guy in town
Drake Sinclair
post Aug 16 2007, 10:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 231

Hey everyone, just thought I'd introduce my character here. I go by Drake "Risky" Sinclair, and I'm hoping to apply for a position here as a new aero-jock. I also have a knack for covert ops and infantry ground-pounds outside of the cockpit, which coincidently put one of my greatest passions (hand-to-hand combat training) to good use. (Now I hope that's not too much of a skill repertoire for a new character. I don't want to come off as some uber-warrior with mad skillz in everything. I did leave mech piloting out, after all.)

I found out about the Legionnaires through a reference on facebook, and although I probably won't advertise my real name here (as it is done on facebook), I'm sure I'll figure out which one of you is the guy who referred me soon enough. Can't thank you enough. This looks like a cool place, and I look forward to working with you all in making our own Battletech fictions.

--------------------
Position : Recruit | LEGIONNAIRES (Ex-Major, New Syrtis CMM, AFFS)
Callsign : Risky (Ares-4)
Current Aerospace Fighter : F-92 Stingray [60 tons]
Loadout : 1x ER PPC, 2x ER Large Lasers, 2x Medium Lasers
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Captain Garrett Garland
post Aug 17 2007, 12:41 AM
Post #2

Captain | LEGIONNAIRES

Group Icon

Group: LEGIONNAIRES
Member No.: 3

Very good to have you here Drake, nice load-out btw.

--------------------
Position : Captain | LEGIONNAIRES
Callsign : Fox
Current BattleMech : Shadow Hawk [55 tons] [97.2 km/h max] [120 meter jump range]
Loadout : [1x Rotary AC5] [1x LRM-20] [1x Medium Pulse Laser] [2x Streak SRM-2] [AMS] [CASE] [ECM] [JumpJets]
+Quote Post
Drake Sinclair
post Aug 17 2007, 12:57 AM
Post #3

Thanks. Glad to be here.

Ja, I figured I'd just copy the rank/loadout format you all use and throw something comical in there for the time being. I wasn't sure if I am to pick my own craft, or it is assigned to me, being that I'm new to the unit and all. Plus, I don't really have much information as to how aero-fighters are loaded out anyway. I did download the specs on something called a Shiva from the CBT page....looks pretty mean so I'm not sure if you all start a new guy with something like that.

Just wondering, does the Aerotech 2 rulebook include stats for specific types of aero-fighters? (I would assume it does, but I want to be sure.) I don't actually play CBT, but I've been thinking of picking it up to use as reference for this and some other projects. I'm hoping to find stats on fighters mentioned in most of the Battletech novels I've read....like Lucifer, Stuka, Shilone, Chippewa, etc.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Captain Desparado
post Aug 17 2007, 07:33 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 50

QUOTE(Drake Sinclair @ Aug 16 2007, 10:45 PM) *

I found out about the Legionnaires through a reference on facebook, and although I probably won't advertise my real name here (as it is done on facebook), I'm sure I'll figure out which one of you is the guy who referred me soon enough. Can't thank you enough. This looks like a cool place, and I look forward to working with you all in making our own Battletech fictions.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Glad u made it. First post and it looks like we'll all be getting along nicely here.

--------------------
Callsign : Libra - 1
Current BattleMech : Sunder Leviathan
Loadout : 4 ER Large Lasers, 1 Clan LBX AC20, 3 ER Medium Lasers, 1 Clan LRM20, LAMS
+Quote Post
Captain Adam Wolf
post Aug 17 2007, 09:32 AM
Post #5

LEGIONNAIRES Founder

Member No.: 5

Welcome to the site, its always great to see new people around.

I'm not sure how you feel about building your own fighter or anything, but a great reference material, as well as handy program to make your own vehicles is available for free on www.ChaosMarch.com

Just click on Downloads in the nav bar on the left and scroll to the bottom, there's a link for "The Vehicle Factory 3.0" and an update for it.

Its a really cool little program for making vehicles (tanks, hover, tracked, VTOLs, etc) and Fighters (conventional and aerospace). It has buttons for warships and jumpships but they dont work in that version. As far as I can tell it follows CBT rules fairly closely.

Also there is another program on that same page called "The Drawing Board" along with an update for it. That one allows you to make custom Battlemechs and is a great reference because it has detail on the stats of virtually any vehicular weapon in the BT universe. Along with the Drawing Board program there is a lot of pre-made 'mechs you can download to use as reference as well if you want.

Be sure to let us know if you've got any questions or anything, and we're glad to have you aboard.

--------------------
Position: Captain | Legionnaires
Callsign : Gunman
Current BattleMech : BattleMaster BLR-WL1 (Moradin) [85 tonnes Heavy]
Loadout : LB-10X AC, AC/5, ATM-3, 3x ER Medium Laser, 3x ER Small Laser (rear), Hardened Armour
+Quote Post
Drake Sinclair
post Aug 17 2007, 06:10 PM
Post #6

Hey thanks, that Chaos March site really is something else. I never expected to find all that info on one site. I'll play with that Vehicle Factory a bit, but I'll probably go with old Inner Sphere Aero-type for use in campaigns.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Captain Garrett Garland
post Aug 17 2007, 09:12 PM
Post #7

Captain | LEGIONNAIRES

Group Icon

Drake, which novels have you read? I'm a huge btech novel fan...

--------------------
Current BattleMech : Shadow Hawk [55 tons] [97.2 km/h max] [120 meter jump range]
Loadout : [1x Rotary AC5] [1x LRM-20] [1x Medium Pulse Laser] [2x Streak SRM-2] [AMS] [CASE] [ECM] [JumpJets]
+Quote Post
Drake Sinclair
post Aug 17 2007, 10:18 PM
Post #8

Tough question, but I'll see which ones I can remember.

I actually started reading Battletech quite late in the overall storyline. It was the beginning of the FedCom Civil War, and I think the first one I read was the very first featering Archer Christifori....Measure of a Hero I think. Then I tried to pick up each one that came out after that. I remember Flashpoint, Test of Vengeance, and Path of Glory. Then I sort of lost track of the series and never finished it to the end of the Civil War, but playing the MW4 games have given me a good feel for how that turned out (don't mess with the Davion). I did manage to backtrack and pick up the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy, since I knew that was sort of the definitive storyline of the whole Battletech saga. Plus, I remember the old animated cartoon and played the hell out of MW2 back in the day, so a lot of that Clan business was familiar to me.

Recently (in the last year or so), I've sort of "begun again" with the old Battletech novels, opting to start from the beginning, or near as close as I can, rather than jump into the newer Dark Age novels (although I have nothing against them). I was able to acquire new copies the Warrior series (En Garde, Riposte, Coupe), and now I'm going through the Kerensky Trilogy once again, and picking up on a lot more than I did the first time around. That's about it, as far as what I've actually read to this date. I've picked up quite a few others as well which I will get into once I finish with the Kerensky Trilogy, and I'm hoping I can get a copy of Heir to the Dragon and Wolves on the Border, since I've developed a soft spot for the old school pre-Clan era. The one major story arc I am quite blind on is the Twilight of the Clans. I may get around to it at some point, but right now it's my last priority in the series. Plus, those books seem hard to come by now. I know that Smoke Jaguar is no more and that the SLDF was rebuilt, but I still don't know the complete story yet. Maybe some day.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Captain Garrett Garland
post Aug 17 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #9

Captain | LEGIONNAIRES

Group Icon

Yeah, it was not easy acquiring my collection. Over the past couple of years I managed to get all of the classic battletech novels along with the dark age stuff. I can’t believe that measure of a hero was your first btech book because… I have that on my nightstand right now! That’s exactly where I’ve gotten in the series. 51 down, 12 to go!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Drake Sinclair
post Aug 18 2007, 12:38 AM
Post #10

Wow, I have a hard time imagining all the novels in one collection. I bet that involved a whole lot of ebay action.

So I suppose you have yet to get to the one about the Nova Cats and Draconis Combine, and then the one with the Ghost Bear Elemental. Those were especially fun.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Drake Sinclair
post Sep 17 2007, 02:20 AM
Post #11

I was just wondering, does anyone ever write with more than one character? I was thinking of using a second character, perhaps someone that Drake would already know.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Captain Garrett Garland
post Sep 18 2007, 02:24 AM
Post #12

Captain | LEGIONNAIRES

Group Icon

Certainly, many of the members have multiple characters. Tetsuhara is my main other character, and I've had a few different ones over the years, though they usually serve temporary purposes. For awhile I had an aerospace pilot, and Tetsuhara is a scout/infantryman guy. I just thought it would be better to send in a badass commando into ground combat versus a MechWarrior.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Wedge Lourde
post Sep 24 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #13

LEGIONNAIRES

Member No.: 16

I've gone by Wedge Lourde since May of '05 when I joined. I wrote with the name Mick Brandt for a while, but it just didn't stick. I do respect you guys, however, who are creative enough to write multiple characters.

As for me, Wedge is a difficult enough character for me to tackle.

--------------------
Position : MechWarrior | LEGIONNAIRES
Callsign : Sabre Lead
Current BattleMech : Masakari
Loadout : ERPPC x4, LRM 10 x1
+Quote Post
Corporal Luke Winston
post Sep 26 2007, 08:27 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 15

I've got two characters myself, although my main character (or at least used to be main character) Adam Wolf is currently inactive. I made Luke Winston so I could do some aerial combat and I didnt feel it would be realistic if I made Wolf a pilot since he's already trained in Mech combat and Infantry roles.

--------------------
Position : Corporal
Callsign : Ares - 3
Current Vehicle : MFCF-X17 Aerospace Fighter (Firebird) [50 tons]
Loadout : 2x Medium X-Pulse Laser, 4x LRM-5 (48 rounds standard, 24 rounds Heet Seeking, 24 rounds Magnetic Pulse), 2x Laser AMS

+Quote Post
Drake Sinclair
post Oct 3 2007, 09:39 PM
Post #15

Sounds good. I don't know if I'll bring in another character for sure, but I'll keep the option open. I would most likely bring in a mechwarrior since Drake is an aero-jock. I'd find a way to work it into the story. Maybe we'll come across survivors from another mech unit on the op....I can't say for certain.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:10 PM

subBlack shadows and light edition © 2005 - DreamCaster
Original subBlack phpbb2 style by spectre