Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gellen's Heights, Capital City
InfoBot
post Dec 19 2005, 01:28 AM
Post #1

Site Architect

Group: Members
Member No.: 2

The city of Gellen's Heights is immense, stretching for well over 30 square miles. The capital city of Sheratan, Gellen's Heights is the cultural and economic focal point of the planet. Theaters, libraries, museums, government offices and commercial structures dot the landscape, while hovercars whisk down tree-lined streets and spacecraft touch down at the Gellen's Heights spaceport. The atmosphere here is very modern, while at the same time incorporating elements of Victorian-era architecture from the early part of Terra's 20th century, and the effect creates a charming, yet sophisticated look.

Sidewalk cafes mingle with holoarcades, night clubs, car dealerships, military outfitters, and interactive movie theaters in the city's retail district, while in the more somber government sector, the sound of the wind blowing is only occasionally interrupted by the chirp of birdsong echoing from within the Romanesque approaches to the many government offices which dominate the landscape.

The city itself has been built with the intention of keeping the land's natural beauty preserved, and it is not at all uncommon to find waterfalls cascading down alongside busy roadways in the heart of downtown. There is no better place to be on Sheratan than in Gellen's Heights, and the volume of people present here at all hours seems to support this.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Wedge Lourde
post Jan 1 2006, 02:26 PM
Post #2

LEGIONNAIRES

Group: LEGIONNAIRES
Member No.: 16

After walking from the Cantina past a few other bars, I approached a bleeding man on the ground. A raggedy little boy hopped over to me.

"Follow! Follow!"

He tugged on my coat and dashed off into an alley past the man. I wanted to help him, but I hear a scream in the alley. My first impusle made me double-time it to help, but I would soon find my error...

--------------------
Position : MechWarrior | LEGIONNAIRES
Callsign : Sabre Lead
Current BattleMech : Masakari
Loadout : ERPPC x4, LRM 10 x1
+Quote Post
Wedge Lourde
post May 1 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #3

LEGIONNAIRES

I wandered about the past-rebuilt city in search of a bite in my shiny re-painted black Junglehammer hovercar. I was cruising past the parking spot to the diner, when a scream broke the serenity of the cool night's mist that preceeded rainfall. I parked illegally and hopped out, ignoring the scream. Before I opended the door of the simple bar, I heard an explosion. A tank was flanked by 4 Elementals. One of the Elementals keyed the megaphone attatched to it.

"All civilians, the situation is OK. Please return to your daily tasks. The problem is sovled. There is nothing to see here. Please back away from the tank."

I looked at the trunk of my cruiser, where I kept a blaster. You never knew when...

Ignoring the commotion, I decided to get Diner food.

I opened the door to the Diner, took a seat at the bar, and went through the usual ordering process with the hostess. I got my plate and tap beer, and headed for a booth. I was peering at the news on the TV. I took a fry, then dropped the plate.

"Tonight, on Gellen at 6:30. This is a public warning: 6 local mobsters have stolen a Flakmann tank and 4 millitary combat suits. If you are watching this report, stay in your home. Call all your relitives and friends, and tell them to return home. If you are near the intersection of Grand Falls and 4th, stay calm, and stay inside.

Falls and 4th...

I dropped my meal and beer, and dashed to my hover. My first impulse came quickly. I sped to intersection. People had flanked all sides of the tank, staring in awe. I was too late. The killing had begun.

The tank opened fire, as its AMAS Lighting shell sped towards the stairs of a bank plaza in which many onlookers bolted for saftey.

So many innocent bystanders... all the others could do was watch. Screams of pain and horror were accompanied by the now falling rubble of a gash the size of a boulder that had fallen out of the side of the bank.

It was horrible. I'm sure by now the locals had been informed of this incident. My first though was to haul back to base for my Thanatos, but I remembered the death penalty for 'mechs other than police in the city. I then felt like a hopeless civilian, as I tried my best to shove my way around the fleeing crowd. Crisp sounds of lasers filed the night air. Then, there was a small earthquake. And another.

boom... Boom... BOOM... BOOM!

A Cougar had just rounded the corner behind the "fight". Attatched to the light 'mech were 3 Elementals.
This was about to get good.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Private Mick Brandt
post May 3 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #4

Sheratan Planetary Militia

Member No.: 41

"Red-2, we have a problem. Remember those damn guys that said they were maintanence? Well, they stole a tank and 4 suits. They're shooting innocent targets around the city. I hear they haven't made it far, but that Flakmann's hella fast. We'd better deploy. Tell the other 2 to suit up. We've got some bastard-removal to do."

"Why do we always get idiot-patrol? I'll meet you at the dock in 2."

"ON THE DOUBLE, PRIVATE! There's some civilians throwing rocks at the bay doors. If we're not out there in 30 seconds or less..."

I slapped down my cards. "Come on, guys. Sarge sounds serious. Let's go."

They all grumbled in unison. This game of Solaris-ruled poker had gotten good...

"Privates, this is Red One. Report in."

"Red Two. Suited, and ready for action."

"Red Three ready. Red Four... I'm good. Let's go!"

We jumped onto the legs of the powering-up Cougar.

We passed about the city, and went through the usual cheer-boo-clap-soda pop toss-middle finger that you find when you appear in town. I felt safe behind half an inch of metal plating. Although Sargent James was traveling at a rather hard-to-grip-'mech-leg pace, our boss, Major Burnham didn't appreciate our lag.

"RED TEAM, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? I DON'T GET ENOUGH C-BILLS TO LET YOU DICK AROUND AND STARE AT MY CIVILIANS!"

"Apperently, Mr. 'ham owns the city, Mark." I snickered to Red-4.

The rather funny moment suddenly turned more serious than ever when we saw cluttered rubbel from buildings, and dead bodies and blood splattered around the intersection. I tank sat in the middle, with the 4 suits of elemental shooting random people or things around the intersection.

When the tank spotted us, it booked it on down the road, breaking at least 3 people's backs that were wincing in pain in the middle of the street.

"Armor-go! I'll swing around the other side of this tower here. We'll meet up there."

I then felt the will to fight. Me and my team dashed down the same path of the tank, and exchanged fire with our counterpart infantry planted on the tank.

"... and so it begins."

--------------------
Position : Private, Local Militia
Callsign : Red-2
Current BattleMech : Elemental PowerArmor (Militia Refit)
Loadout: x1 Small Pulse Laser, HoverJet Power Jets
+Quote Post
Lieutenant William Dante
post May 4 2006, 01:49 AM
Post #5

Sheratan Planetary Militia | MechWarrior

Group: Crayven Securities, Inc.
Member No.: 37

Elsewhere...

The Boring Pig Pub
Gellen's Heights, Sheratan
1845 Hours

The crack of billiards breaking on a felt pool table, coupled with the clink of glassware and the invigorating, generally rowdy and energized atmosphere of the inner-city bar set an upbeat mood as I watched four wooden, solid-colored balls drop into their respective pockets and clatter down the return chutes.

"I'll be damned. On your opening break, no less. Must be that 'luck of the Irish' you were referring to, eh, Higgins?"

"'tis not luck...'tis skill, laddie! And judgin' from yer last two games, I'd say you could stand to learn a fing or two from me!" The Northwind Highlander's well-inebriated compatriots dissolved into drunken laughter as I smirked at the well-intentioned jab. Ambling over to the table, I applied a liberal amount of chalk to the end of my pool cue, before leaning over the faux-mahogany bumpers to line up my shot. With a swift jab, I sent the cue-ball spinning across the table, sinking two stripes and displacing a number of solids, one of which came to rest dangerously close to the outer edge of a corner pocket.

"Not bad for a beginner," Higgins quipped, taking a slam of his ale before returning to the game.

"I'm not exactly a 'beginner,' you know...in fact - "

"Ah, but ya play like one!" Higgins laughed, wiping his mouth with a grimy sleeve and lining up his next shot. "Now, let's show you how it's done!"

With that, Higgins pulled back on his pool cue, and gave it a mighty push, impacting the cue-ball with such force. At the same instant, a ground-shuddering pounding from outside the bar, accompanied by the a calamatous mixture of screams and commotion, drew closer and closer. I ran to the nearest window, and gazed out at the night street, in time to witness a Cougar BattleMech, laden with assorted battle armor, lumber past. It had no obvious insignia displayed on it, ruling out the possibility that it was one of the local boys - a fact which alarmed me greatly, as non-militia military units were not to be operating on public property without expicit authorization - not even the mighty Crayven Corporation could get away with it...legally. Something had to be going on.

"Gentlemen, I'm afraid I'll have to continue this fine battle of wits at a later date. Something's come up."

"I'd say about thirty-five tons of something!" Higgins bellowed, drunkenly. I would have acknowledged him, but I was already out the door.

This post has been edited by Lieutenant William Dante: May 4 2006, 01:55 AM

--------------------
Position : Lieutenant | Sheratan Planetary Militia
Callsign : Aquarius
Current BattleMech : AKU-1X Akuma (Vindicator) [Assault]
Loadout: 1x ER PPC, 1x Medium Pulse Laser, 1x 2nd Gen Streak SRM 4, 1x Medium Laser, 1x MRM-30, 1x LB 10-X AC, 1x 2nd Gen Streak SRM-6
+Quote Post
General Harold Saxon
post May 4 2006, 02:21 AM
Post #6

Crayven Securities, Inc. | Tactical Division

Member No.: 39

Meanwhile...

Crayven Securities, Incorporated - 3.46 km from The Boring Pig
Gellen's Heights, Sheratan
1848 Hours

I sat in the courtyard of Equinox's opulent commissary, watching impassively as Lisa Schultz devoured her meal selection like some manner of rabid animal. Had I not been aware of the conditions under which she had been living for the past several weeks, I would have considered her behavior uncouth. However, given the circumstances, I was willing to give the good doctor the benefit of the doubt.

My comm unit chirped subtley, drawing my attention away from the freak show that was the doctor's food intake. Stepping away from the table, I withdrew the unit from my breast pocket, and flipped it open, pressing it to my ear in one fluid motion.

"Saxon."

"General," the frantic voice of Lieutenant Dante began, "I apologize for calling you directly - I know the protocol dictates - "

"Get on with it, Lieutenant. I haven't got all day."

"There's a...disturbance...underway less than five clicks out from the compound," Dante continued, his voice barely audible above a substantial amount of background noise. "It's got the potential to get pretty ugly - quite a lot of rioting going on, and I can confirm one BattleMech - scout class - a Cougar - supported by a handful of battle armor inbound on the mess - also have reports that there's a couple of tanks and some assorted support units engaged with civillians - not sure who the aggressors are at this time. Definitely no militia units involved."

I shook my head in frustration. This was likely a localized incident - unfortunate, but fairly common in the aftermath of the Blakist incursion on Sheratan.

"Lieutenant, unless it reaches our perimeter, or we're called to assist, we stay out of it. Now, I suggest you go back to your pool game and let the local boys clean it up. It's their problem. Not ours. In the mean time, I'll put Equinox security on alert to be on the lookout for anything unusual."

There was a brief pause.

"How did you know I was playing p...never mind. General, with all due respect, given the proximity to Equinox, perhaps our involvement - "

"You have your orders, Lieutenant. I expect you to carry them out. We'll notify the locals. That's all we can do at the moment. Now - stand down until further notice. Saxon out."

--------------------
Position : General, Crayven Tactical
Callsign : Templar
Current BattleMech : MC2-CS-A Mad Cat-II (Prototype) [Assault]
Loadout : 2x Clan ER PPC, 2x Clan Arrow-IV, Artemis IV BAP
+Quote Post
Wedge Lourde
post May 4 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #7

LEGIONNAIRES

"Sir, do NOT cross this line. We have a criminal situation here."

The armored patrolmen that came with the Cougar were chasing thier other armored adversaries. I though of how easy this fight would be if I had my Guardian V with me. Unfortunatly, it was time for me to be another civilian.

The tank rounded the corner, and the arena had turned into a large square with a bank in the middle. The patrol force had set up barriers all around the 4 intersections. Of course, people pushed and shoved on all sides of the barriers.

A gridlock hell kept the fight alive. People threw bottles, C-Bills, plates, even food at the officers.

Then, the tank re-rounded the corner, and the Cougar not far behind. The crowed fell dead silent, then started to run backwards. Then the tank did something suicide. It threw into reverse, and sneaked under the 'mech's leg as it began to ascend. Once at the back of the 'mech, he launched a round at the back of the cockpit. The 'mech fell clean over, smashing the barrier on my side. Luckily, everybody had already moved back about 20 feet. The armor dashed for the cockpit to throw out the pilot and hi-jack it. The militia armor move in to stop it. Guns blazing, the armors clashed. Using debris from buildings that had been shot, the militia armor fought to destroy the more powerful hi-jacked armor. The tank crawled under the immoble Cougar fought to stand up. Something was wrong though. A 'mech should have stood up well by now. It had to be on the pilot's end.

I ran up close enough to see the pilot's face. Blood ran down his forehead and cheeks, and he did not move.

I knew what I had to do I ran past a building, and hopped the barrier.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Private Mick Brandt
post May 4 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #8

Me and my squad had placed barriers donated by the unarmed police that had arrived. Dodging another array of junk and trash thrown by the onlookers, we shooed the crowd back while our Milita Cougar dealt with the tank. Although this wasn't a very big incident, it had the potential to get big. Very big.

The tank came around the corner of the bank, and Red-1 followed. It continued to approach our position, then suddenly stopped. Then, backing up towards the 'mech, he sped.

"Get 'em sarge!"

Instead, the tank passed under his foot.

"What the... WOAH!"

As if it were a simple joke, the tank shot the Red-1 down. The Cougar landed with a huge thud, and bricks and bits of metal were shaken from the surrounding buildings. The ground cracked, and I'm sure the quake could be felt for miles.

"SARGENT MARITO!"

No response. Then, the "Tank and friends" gang ran for the cockpit to steal even more Militia property.

"Red team, let's show these bastards what happens when you steal from the GHM!

We began shooting at the enemy that had seized shelter from the fallen debris. As did we take advantage of the bits of rock, debris, and cars left idle in the road.

"Ugb... tank... look... tank... look..."

Whatever Sargent Marito had said, wouldn't have mattered. A heavy wind came upon us, and it seemed like we had been tossed up into the air. Like hell had entered the area. Everything went red, and I saw huge peices of rock, and explosions...

This post has been edited by Private Mick Brandt: May 13 2006, 12:56 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lieutenant William Dante
post May 5 2006, 07:08 PM
Post #9

Sheratan Planetary Militia | MechWarrior

Member No.: 37

The outskirts of the industrial sector had decended into utter chaos. Explosions thundered through the air, spraying debris everywhere and causing fires to break out all around. Civillians ran screaming in all directions, while police attempted in vain to take control of the situation.

Ducking around falling debris, I pushed my way through the crowd, trying to make my way inward toward the heart of the chaos. As I rounded the street corner where the tank had made its first appearence, I was met with an unbelievable sight.

The Cougar was laying prone, its legs sprawled out behind it, and its torso pitched awkwardly to the left. A large crater was present on one of its legs, with the source, a Marksman tank, barrel still smoking, poised nearby in preparation to strike again. A melee appeared to be playing out nearby - I couldn't make a definite assessment of the forces involved, nor who was 'friendly' versus who was 'hostile.' The entire scene was surreal.

I quietly slipped my comm unit out, and depressed the button which would quickly connect me to Crayven dispatch. As the call went out, a tremendous explosion ripped through the narrow alley, knocking me face-first onto the pavement.

--------------------
Position : Lieutenant | Sheratan Planetary Militia
Callsign : Aquarius
Current BattleMech : AKU-1X Akuma (Vindicator) [Assault]
Loadout: 1x ER PPC, 1x Medium Pulse Laser, 1x 2nd Gen Streak SRM 4, 1x Medium Laser, 1x MRM-30, 1x LB 10-X AC, 1x 2nd Gen Streak SRM-6
+Quote Post
Wedge Lourde
post May 7 2006, 11:54 PM
Post #10

LEGIONNAIRES

An explosion from a fuel cell truck that had been shot rippled the scene. I was buisy hacking into the holo-barrier, as the militia police forces tried to keep the crowd from rioting. In the middle of all of this, 2 sets of battle suits struggled to control the inactive Cougar, in which the pilot was obviously hurt. As I entered the last access codes, I felt a tug on my sleeve.

"Sir, I am William Dante of Crayven Securities. I noticed the Legionnaires insigna on the back of your shirt. As I recall, Crayven and the Legionnaires are close together. The Maxwell family, I beleive."

"Major Maxwell has a family?" I thought to myself.

"Errm... yes... Mr. Dante."

"Please, call me William. Can you describe the situation to me please? I was interupted from my game of pool by a large quake."

"Well, I was walking into a diner, when..."

As if in perfect timing, there was an explosion. I turned from his face to see an Uziel 'mech charge in past the scene. As soon as it arrived, it again charged past the bank shooting random targets. Then, the city-wide evacuation siren was raised. It was now illegal to be in the city. If you were caught working, or not evacuating, you were arrested. Only police and militia forces could be within the premises of the city. The last time they did this was...

The Blake Invasion.

This post has been edited by Corporal Wedge Lourde: May 7 2006, 11:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Private Mick Brandt
post May 8 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #11

After I gained conciousness enough to notice that a fuel truck had been ripped to shreads, I awakened my team as best I could. Red-3 didn't wake up, though.

"Red 4 and 5, you guys have to keep these bastards buisy while I call in for reinforcements.

"Yes sir!"

The situation had worsened considerably. People had started throwing punches and shoving each other. The civilians started rioting on all sides. The sheer confusion and madness turned into a whole incident. There wasn't much more time before the enemy armor reached the 'mech. It was bad.

"Red 2 to Major Burnham. Repeat, Brandt to Burnham! Come in"

"I read you, private. What the hell is going on down there? I don't even see Red-1 on radar anymore! Give me a cit-rep, on the double!"

"The unknown forces have knocked Red-1's Cougar to the ground. It has been well over 5 minutes, and he still hasn't stood up. Also, there was an explosion, and Red-3 has not regained conciousness. The crowds are pushing against the barrier sides, and rioting."

There was a pause and static. "Goddammit, private. I don't know what to say or do. If I pull you and your men out, the guys might steal the Cougar. If I make you stay, you might die. I just don't know what to say or do... We can't send in another 'mech... that Cougar is the smallest we got. We can't even send in a meduim 'mech... the Building Commission would kill... WHO THE HELL ARE YOU...!"

There were a few bloodcurling screams at random, and quite a few explosions over the com. I heard thunder off in the distance. Unatrual. Then, the Sheratan Militia Commander, Master Admiral Nickolav Johnson came on the radio, stopping all other worldwide militia chatter.

"Sheratan Militia-Please be advised. The Sheratan Millitary Base One located in Gellen's Heights has just been attacked. We do not know any details at this time. We do not know the extense of damage. The city-wide evacuation alarm has been raised.

Be advised-several 'mechs have been stolen from the base. They are moving in on the city."

Just then, a loud blasting siren echoed all around, and around the corner appeared an Uziel, PPCs charged. Hell had just turned into the apocalypse for a Militia private in a 1/2" thick suit of metal armed with a small pulse laser.

This post has been edited by Private Mick Brandt: May 10 2006, 10:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Wedge Lourde
post May 8 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #12

LEGIONNAIRES

This is a third-person conversation. It is at another unknown location, and Wedge is not involved.

-Elsewhere----Unknown Location

"... and are you sure?"

"Yes. The operation is going smoothly. I beleive that the city has been evacuated. Team 2 has started their assault on the militia base."

"What is the next phaise?"

"We must not stray from our first task: to find the boy."

"... and of what importance has he?"

"We beleive he is the one who destroied our dropship at the Slocum recharge."

"You didn't awnser my question. Do you know his whereabouts?"

"We beleive he works in the local militia. When he attacked, he had a suit not unlike those of the militiamen."

"You are sure of this?"

"Yes."

"I still don't see reason to fund this operation. How are you sure that the operation will continue without a hitch?"

"The planet has just recovered from the Blakist invasion. I have planned the assault in the fashion of a Blakist occupation. Although the invasion was a failure..."

"So you model your tactics off of those of a Word of Blake scum even when you know you might fail? Why would you submit to WoB tactics? Are you suggesting your loyalty and respect of these tactics? It is a dishonor to use tactics not honored by House Liao. I would have to remove you from the house if you were to submit to such disgrace."

"Admiral, please. Of course not. I was only saying..."

"You haven't shown reason to occupy the city other than to capture the boy."

"We have other reasons."

"Such as?"

"Sheraton is controled Davion. We may be able to throw the planet into havoc if we cause confusion and destruction within the planet. For great conquest."

"Everybody wants conquest. It is not Liao custom to kill two birds with one stone. I see no reason for occupation. I am pulling this fund."

"ADMIRAL ZIHENG! If it were not for the boy, we could have sent in the supplys to possibly stop the Word of Blake from destroying one of our planets! It is by bad fortune that we were interfered, and my home planet is nothing by wasteland!"

"Take this problem out on the Word of Blake. The last move the we need is to start a war with another house. We can barely balance the WoB on our sholders. I will hold the fund..."

"Thank you for your kindness. We may be able to complete the operation now. With out your grand kindness, this operation would fail."

"... with one exception. You make me commander of this "project". Also, if we are discovered...

By Liao custom, I am allowed to add the weight to your sholders if I choose. I can pull the fund, and make you pay for all that I have paid for. If we both die, the heave will be turned over to your family. The dividends will be split among those determined to be able to pay."

"I HAVE NO FAMILY! THEY WERE HOPELESSLY KILLED BY THE WORD!"

"One more outbreak, Kashira, and I will kill you, pull the fund, and make any reference to you pay for the damage done so far. I will say no more. If I see no progress in the next day, I will pull the fund."

"My mistake, Admiral."

"Besides the boy, what is the next phaise? What if global chaos can not be established. What if the operation is cut off, and the stolen 'mechs destroied? There is the militia, and 2 other corperations. One called "Crayven Securities", and the other a Mercenary group entitled "The Legionnaires", commisioned by the MRBC. Both are equipped with lances of meduim-assault 'mechs that could esily put down the plan."

"I assure you these groups will not have enough time to put us down. Do not forget that we have JumpShips full of DropShips and 'mechs."

"You are not entitled to use these resources. As the new Operation commander, I do not give you permission to use millitary property in a mission not commisioned by the Millitary itself. We were neither called for duty, or assigned by the House govornment officials to this Operation. As I can tell, you have no Plan B, and can only rely on hope and fate. If you fail, you and your references will have quite a hefty fine to pay."

"I will not fail."

"We will see about this. I will say no more."

The man in the black left the dark room, leaving the man in the white alone all by himself.

This post has been edited by Corporal Wedge Lourde: May 8 2006, 11:14 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Master Sergeant Kevin Cosgrove
post May 9 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #13

Crayven Securities, Inc | Field Operations

Member No.: 42

Meanwhile...
----------------------------------
With a thunderous roar, the DropShip Half Moon rose into the sky on a pillar of flame, tracing a contrail through the morning haze as it arced into the cosmos.

Godspeed, Richard...

I pushed the throttle of the RVN-CS-A3 Raven prototype to full, and sent it trotting across the burnt-umber dirt of the Gellen's Heights Proving Grounds. The earthen surface soon transitioned into ferrocrete as the thirty-five-ton scout made its way into the Crayven Corporation's sprawling industrial complex, dubbed 'The Forge' by its laborers. Here was where the intricately-laid plans of BattleMech designers sprung from the drafting boards, summmoned into existence by the hands of master technicians sequestered in a vast production facility hidden beneath the surface, their ministrations shielded from prying eyes by over three meters of ferrocrete. The buildings visible at ground level represented merely a fraction of the true goings-on present, and consisted mainly of support structures. Even the entrance to the labrynth was not obvious to the naked eye: inset into the floor of a massive, empty BattleMech hangar locted at the north end of the Works, the wide approach ramp was only visible to persons actually on the compound's premises - and even at that, if those individuals did not know where to look, they would miss it.

As I steered the Raven toward the hangar, a loud chirp from my targeting computer caused me to jerk the BattleMech to a halt. Glancing at the radar screen, a small, red dot flickered to life on the easternmost edge of its grid, nearly outside the detection range of even the Raven's bleeding-edge technology. The targeting computer furiously churned through the huge volumes of data being fed to it by its integrated Bloodhound Probe as I slowly changed course, moving toward the Commerce Boulevard end of the Equinox Compound, attempting to close enough distance between the target and myself to obtain an identification.

As the Raven stomped along the access road leading toward the Dreams of Avarice's
docking gantry and the compound's south gate, several more blips appeared on the radar, in the same vicinity as the first.

"Control - this is Falcon. Do we have any reports of hostile activity in the West End?"

I brought the Raven to a stop at the easternmost end of the compound, just past the DropShip gantry, a swarm of hostile contacts flickering in and out of existance on my screen.

"Affirmative, Falcon," the crisp British voice of MechCommander Jones replied. "We're aware of it. General Saxon reported a small riot underway in the Gallows - intersection of Fleet and Niagara - approximately ten minutes ago. He's advising our presence is not requested."

I glanced down at my sensors. The targeting computer had identified the nearest contact as a Bulldog medium tank, but was still acquiring identification for the remaining bogies.

"Control - I don't remember the last time rioters gave off IFF signals - or used tanks to get their point across. Can you confirm intel?"

"Affirmative, Falcon. Intel is confirmed per General Saxon. Your orders are not to interfere."

I switched the Raven's secondary communications interface to 'scan' and scrolled through the local militia's frequencies. The sounds of explosions, harried orders, and blood-curdling screams cut across the channel.

"Control, are you monitoring the militia's traffic? That doesn't sound like a 'small riot' to me."

"You have your orders, Falcon," Jones replied, exaspiration creeping into his voice. "General Saxon has advised non-interference."

I pushed the Raven's throttle to full, executing a sharp, 180-degree turn and charging west down the access road at a blistering ninety-six kilometers per hour. Turning north, I rocketed through The Forge, approaching the Fleet Street exit at breakneck speed.

"Falcon - you are to return to the Forge immediately! Do not - repeat - do not take the A3 off the grounds!"

"It'll be our little secret, Control."

With that, I toggled the Raven's Null Signature equipment. Several moments later, a thirty-five-ton shadow figure was witnessed stomping eastbound on Fleet Street, heading into the fray.

--------------------
Position : Master Sergeant, Crayven Securities Incorporated
Callsign : Falcon
Current BattleMech : RVN-CS-A3 Raven (A3 Prototype) [Light]
Loadout: 2x LRM-5, 2x ER Medium Laser, 1x NARC Missile Beacon
+Quote Post
Wedge Lourde
post May 9 2006, 10:18 PM
Post #14

LEGIONNAIRES

The Crayven pilot and I ducked down into the alleyway of 2 corporate megagiant buildings.

"This situation can hold no more waiting. Contact your squad and request a fire team. Even if it means life or death."

"...and what gives you the idea that you can order a Lieutenant around? It isn't as easy as "Calling in the fire squad. We have to wait untill the locals call us. When we are authorized to use any force neccecary, that means that we can use any tactic, and any war machine. So far..."

"Then we have to run like hell!"

"Maybe not so. Those militiamen don't seem to be doing so well. I'm going to let you return to your hacking. Here's what I want you to do. I want you to slip by the barrier, and see if you can sneak into the cockpit."

"ARE YOU CRAZY!?!?!?!?!"

"Distract the Uziel for as long as you can. See if you can use the radio to request support from Crayven Corperation. When you're done... I don't know. Just survive in the Cougar whatever you do, do NOT destroy his 'mech. If he manages to eject, destroy the pod. We can salvage the 'mech."

"If I die..."

"Don't say that, corporal! Just go! The more time you waste, the less time we have to sucsessfuly save the city"

Pinning in the last numbers as his voice trailed off, I ran through the hole in the 10 feet barrier. Taking shelter every 2 or so debris spots, I advanced up to the 'mech. I watched Lieutenant Dante seal the hole by taking the hack off of the spot. Trying not to get seen by the suits on my side, I approached the cockpit, when several laser blasts passed my head. Following the short bursts where 2 huge lances of supercharged plasma bolts that hit the ground like lighting strikes.ERPPC.Great.

The ERPPC was an advanced version of the PPC that some lances, clans, and housemen used, others did not. Despite incredible range and damage, the Extended Range Partice Projection Cannon created enough heat to heat a home for weeks. Not really

The EMP charges from the blast fried the low-security electronics of the Elemental battle suits that were used by both sides. Radios, Gyroscopes, even some HUDs might be damaged. The magnetic emissions from the charge powered down the barriers, causing total chaos. People charged for the police, and still, each other. I was almost thankful for this destraction, as it was more than enough to keep the Elementals on my side occupied.

I climbed into the 'mech, and closed the hatch. Puting the bloody pilot aside, I initiated a quick startup. The 'mech responded instantly, and the legs pulled the 'mech upright. I felt as though I had control. As people rioted all around, I lifted a leg as a sign of warning. Anybody stupid enough to stand in the way of protagonist lethal force deserved to die. People even tried to climb the legs. I couldn't do anything about it. I teased the throttle, and began my trot the the stolen Uziel. Just then, a Raven 'mech entered the area. I decided not to take any chances, and just focus on the Uziel. I activated the MRM's that were attatched to the beast, and rounded the corner, facing the back of the 50 ton 'mech with a perfect shot.

"Let's see how theives fight!"

This post has been edited by Corporal Wedge Lourde: May 9 2006, 10:23 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Master Sergeant Kevin Cosgrove
post May 10 2006, 09:53 PM
Post #15

Crayven Securities, Inc | Field Operations

Member No.: 42

The intersection of Fleet Street and Niagara Boulevard was a scene of utter pandemonium. As my modified Raven tore through the increasingly-deep urban jungle, a rioting mass of humanity came into view, overflowing across police barricades as opposing squads of battle armor exchanged withering fire with one another. A marauding Uziel stomped through the chaos, crushing vehicles and pedestrians beneath its massive, three-toed feet as it strode purposefully toward a battle-damaged Cougar, while several Joust and Bulldog tanks opened fire on entrenched militia forces, pinning them beneath high-calber bombardment. It was a scene I hadn't borne witness to in a long time.

Blake's blood! What the hell's going on here?

Before I had time to analyze the situation further, the Cougar - which bore an IFF tag identifying it as belonging to the local militia - opened fire on the Uziel with a flight of medium-range-missiles. The larger 'Mech easily swatted down the incoming flight of warheads with its Laser AMS system, and returned fire with two angry blasts of projected particle energy, sending the Cougar into a drunken stagger as the weapons' EMP effects rippled across its systems.

Suddenly, my comm unit crackled to life with the frenzied voice of the Cougar's pilot. "...-is is Corp-al -edge Lourde...the...-egionn-...-sting the planeta...ilitia...are under attack by...nown...stiles...and are requesting assistance from any friendly units. Repeating - this is Corporal Wedge Lourde of the Legionnaires. I am assisting the planetary militia who are under attack by unknown hostiles and are requesting assistance from any friendly units. Does anyone copy my transmission?"

I shoved my Raven's throttle to full, and ran several blocks south of the engagement, rounding a corner and emerging on Niagara Avenue directly behind the marauding Uziel.

"Corporal Lourde - this is Master Sergeant Kevin Cosgrove of the..." I began, catching myself before I spoke the name of the Crayven Corporation. I didn't want to reveal too much until I had a better fix on what was going on. "...of a friendly organization. I'd ask you what was going on, but at the moment, we have more pressing issues to attend to. Let me see if I can get this Uzi off your back."

Several apocalyptic explosions crackled across the comm before the Corporal replied.

"Much obliged, Sergeant. If I may ask - what're you packing? I'm not picking you up on radar or optics."

"That's because this toy ain't on the market yet, Corporal. But you'll read me in just a moment."

With that, I lined up my targeting reticule on the Uziel's rear center of mass, and opened fire with a blistering LRM barrage. Two of the missiles were deflected by the fifty-ton monster's countermeasures, but the other eight found their marks, tearing through the Uziel's rear armor with ease. Reacting to the unexpected attack with impressive agility, its pilot yanked the BattleMech hard to the east, reversing down Fleet Street in order to protect its now-smoldering rear arc.

"Looks like you pissed him off, Sergeant," Lourde's voice quipped, as his battle-scarred Cougar, now bereft of its right arm, stomped toward the intersection. "I don't know about you, but I think this is our chance to finish what he started."

"Roger that, Corporal. This might be easier than - oh shit."

"What? What is it?"

I double-checked my radar screen.

"I've got multiple hostiles on an inbound vector - it looks like they're coming from the spaceport - a Behemoth II tank, five or six points of armor, and a Sunder."

A brief silence hung between us as we took up firing positions on the entrenched Uziel.

"That could get nasty. You got any buddies in the area?"

"Negative - but if we can buy some time, I can call a few of my closest friends up!"

--------------------
Position : Master Sergeant, Crayven Securities Incorporated
Callsign : Falcon
Current BattleMech : RVN-CS-A3 Raven (A3 Prototype) [Light]
Loadout: 2x LRM-5, 2x ER Medium Laser, 1x NARC Missile Beacon
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:42 PM

subBlack shadows and light edition © 2005 - DreamCaster
Original subBlack phpbb2 style by spectre